Monday, June 26, 2006

Idaho here we come!

I don't want this to sound like an Andy Rooney disgruntled rant, or any"Opinionated AARP Member" (sorry "pop" couldn't resist) for that matter, but I hate emissions tests and here is my rant. Here in Washington it is required that you get an emissions test on your vehicle every other year before you can get your new tags. I understand and enjoy clean air just like most but the experience I have had is more trouble than it is worth. The test isn't a big deal if you have a new vehicle that doesn't have any problems. It is a big deal to me because our car (1997 Nissan Maxima) runs great has no problems...except the dreaded check engine light is on which means automatic failure at the emissions test. The light has been on almost ever since we have had the car I have scanned the computer to get the code which tells me it is the speed sensor, which I tested-nothing wrong with the speed sensor- the problem is communication between the transmission and the speed sensor which is nothing serious and does not cause any problems with the car and how it runs and does not effect the emissions at all. The problem is I don't know how to fix the communication problem and it seems that no one else does either, so we just live with the orange light on. This of course isn't good enough for the emissions place though, cause they test the car and it fails because the light is on. To get a waiver you have to spend $150 specifically on improving the emissions, and then if it still fails they will waive the test. The problem, like I said, is there is nothing wrong with my emissions so I can't spend 150 dollars to fix something that isn't broke. I spent $400 to have some other repairs to make the car run better but they won't except it because the money I spent wasn't specifically for repairs on the emissions system. Even the mechanics shop I took it to said "They shouldn't be doing this to you", well finally after taking the car into the shop 3-4 times in a week the mechanics called in their emission representative and he just signed off the car so I could get my tags which were already expired, because of not being able to pass the test. The engine light is still on, still not causing any problems but is annoying, it's really annoying because I went through the same month long process last year (even though it was not the year for my car to get emissions) since we had just moved into the state they make you get emissions test. Well now I'm supposedly good until 2008 but if I still have this car I will have another month of driving between the repair shop and emissions test center until someone is called in again to sign it off. I told Emily we're moving to Idaho (it's only about 10 miles to the border from here) just so I don't have to get the dreaded emissions test!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, don't get me started about car repairs! But we did have a good experience recently. Thought our older van needed a new transmission at 115,000 miles, but it turned out it only needed a $250 sensor. Can ya'll imagine being happy for a $250 car repair bill?

And welcome to the blog world. I will soon have to retire to keep up on all the family blogs. But they're fun!

Jenny said...

We had to get our car fixed so we could actually make it to Billings. We would have arrived with our headlight hanging out of the socket and you would have heard a high pitch squeel as we would drive up 19th street. But not anymore. That's $500 down the car-repair drain. Oh, the things we do for transportation!

Anonymous said...

What's up Tom/Franklin! I'm more just saying hello than commenting on your blog thing, which by the way I went through hell-o and back with my old 96 Astro a couple yrs. back...remember that beauty? Oh, what a headache...anyways..sorry we missed you at Wil's wedding! I was really looking forward to seeing you but I wouldn't have gone either if I was having a baby. :) Congrats by the way! K..that's all, I feel weird writing when strangers can read it. So long and take care!
Yolanda