Saturday, July 07, 2007

First Official Business Trip

Well all you may be tired of me only posting about my job all the time, but this is what takes up most of my time and I haven't come up with anything else to blog about, so more about the job.
My first travels for my job send me to Tamarack, CA where I will be giving (mostly learning how to give) technical assistance on how to stack one of our log houses.

I don't know California very well and didn't have any idea where Tamarack was and I basically had only had one place to compare it to that I've been to; Tuolomne, CA. Well it just happens that it is only about 60 miles away (I'll be darn!).


I'm excited to learn the process although it's going to be hard work in hot weather but it should be fun. Something funny happened when my boss told me I was going he said "I've booked your plane tickets" and told me what day I would be leaving and what day I would return (for example "you'll be leaving Wednesday and returning on Friday") I thought OK I'll be gone for 3 days, but then when I looked at my flight schedule it was 9 days. So I went home and told Emily that I was going to be gone to California for 9 days, she was freaking out not knowing what she was going to do for 9 days in a town where she doesn't know anyone. The next day I was telling my boss about how I thought it was 3 days but was actually 9 and he was all confused saying "WHAT?! It is only 3 days!" he had actually scheduled my flight to return 9 days later instead of 3, but luckily it was a refundable ticket and he fixed it. He said "Thanks for catching that; I don't know what you guys would have done down there for an extra 6 days." Anyways I'm excited and enjoying the job more each day as I meet more and more clients and help them achieve their dream of a log home.





2 comments:

Jenny said...

You guys don't live very far from California! Sounds like your job is very interesting and fun. That is such a big blessing when it comes to jobs!!

Anonymous said...

Tom, it is your friend Kim from Billings. HI! I just had a question about your new and wonderful job. How does your company ship the home kits? Do they own their own trucks and hire drivers or do they find trucking companies when they are ready to ship the kit? Just wondering, my husband, Josh, has started his own business in flat-bed logistics, it is what he had been doing for the past five years but now he is on his own and works from home. So I thought that maybe he should call your company's shipping coordinator, but if you have your own trucks and drivers then they probably wouldn't need his assistance. Let me know. JK_Wynia@msn.com