Sunday, January 20, 2008

X-country sickness?

This past Saturday I went cross country skiing with the scouts in the ward. We get to go camping somewhere new every month and I love it...even if it does involve super hyper, often annoying 12 -14 yr old boys. I had been cross country skiing once before back in high school physics class (we were studying the characteristics of mountain snow) and remember it being fun. What I didn't remember was how hard it was. Not hard to do, skill wise, but physically exhausting... but I loved it and I wish I could do that every other day instead of running! We went up to past Idaho City and there was a ton of snow, the trail we were on was a 6 mile loop. I only got to do about a mile and a half of it (I was pretty bummed) since one of the boys needed to go back because he felt sick and was throwing up. OK what is it with scouts and throwing up? My first camp out in the ward, one of the boys drank what seemed like gallons of Mountain Dew Code Red right before we drove home on a curvy mountain road, and right after we got our new van...you can probably figure out what happened from there I won't go into details... but I made him clean it up no matter if he was sick or not since he didn't get the window down in time. It seems every camp out someone has to throw-up at least once or else it isn't considered a scout camp out. Oh well, at least I can laugh about it now. Anyways so yeah after a mile and a half of X-country skiing I was sweating buckets, wheezing for air, and knowing I would be extremely sore the next few days (I was really trying to push myself hard, plus I'm a little out of shape right now) but it was a lot of fun. I was feeling pretty good about myself until down at the bottom of the hill (a very steep hill that the rest of us only were able to ski down and never thought of going up) here came Super Dad pulling behind him first, a huge supply sled stacked full of equipment, and attached behind that, a sled with his two old enough to be skiing by themselves daughters. To every one's amazement he skied up the steep hill and did it faster than I skied it going down, needless to say we all just stood there with our jaws dropped looking like losers. We all agreed that it was a good thing our wives weren't there to see that and make us feel even less inadequate. Over all the trip was fun and I can't wait to do it again.

I didn't take this picture (because I always forget to take pictures) but this is the area we were skiing it was awesome!


Here is a picture I did take once I remembered that I had my camera on the way back home just to show how much snow there was.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

No comments? You need a comment already. I thought your trip looked like a lot of fun. I hope to send our boys with you on a xcountry skiing trip. Then I will have all three of them vomit in your van!

Emily said...

The REALLY bad thing about the kid throwing up in our van is that we had just bought it a few weeks before!

Anonymous said...

I think it is so great that you enjoy going with the Scouts. Maybe you are still a boy at heart!